Friday, September 10, 2010

A Day off in India

September 5th
Day 3

Today was my day off. This morning Ameli and I went on a walk around town. I saw a funny prancing iguana type lizard. I'll post a picture of it, if I can figure out how! After our walk we met up with Rico, talked about some logistics about farms and what not. I then typed up goals and plant lists for Roopas farm.
Rico left for Bangalore today to see a friend. Ameli took me into town and we tried to shop for walking shoes. Couldn't quite find anything, either it was the color, shape or size that was just off. Some of the shoes the locals tried to sell Ameli were twice the size of her foot, and they kept telling her to just walk around, that the shoes were supposed to be that size and they were the right size. It was very funny. They are quite the sales people here. Things here are very cheap though! An auto into town is only about 1 or 2 dollars. A full meal at a restaurant is about the same. Even though it is so cheap many indians will lie about the price to foreigners, they will say it is 3 or 4 more times the price, which isn't a big deal, but for those who live here that look foreign, it can add up. So haggling is a good thing to learn, especially to practice in order not to be too ripped off for those things that aren't as cheap.

I saw my first camel in India today! Someone was riding it to town! I wasn't quick enough to take out my camera.. but hopefully next time. I also saw the King's palace in Mysore today. Very intricate and beautiful. I didn't get a chance to get too close, but saw it from the gates.

I learned my first Kanada word today (a language spoken in some parts of southern India). “Beta!” It means: “No, I don't want.” Very useful!

Here is a picture of the dancing lizard.. well lol if you can find it

1 comment: