Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hotel living in Vikarabad.

September 13th 2010

Today I decided to stay back at the hotel, while Rico and Ameli wandered the site of LU.

I was feeling a bit out of energy from the week, and thought it might be good to rest before we travel tomorrow to Hydrabad, and the next day to Hampi. To get to Hampi, we will be taking an overnight train again. I am praying for seats other than the ones near the toilets..

I did some laundry today, in a bucket, in the bathroom. The bathroom is our dish washing station, shower, and laundry. It gets really gross. We have two mats that our room came with and we put them outside of the bathroom so we can dry our feet when we leave the bathroom. But both of the mats are molding because it's always wet and muddy everywhere in the bathroom or sloppy with food (from doing the dishes). I try to rinse the bathroom floor down everytime I go in, but it's of no use, it just gets gross again. We have gotten one towel each for the whole week, and no toilet paper. So thats a fun one.

Hand washing clothes is a big chore! I washed them for three hours at the beginning of the week after that overnight train ride, then it took my clothes 4 days to dry because of the humidity, and because of the amount of time it took, my clothes began to mold! So I had to wash them all again today. And even though it stopped raining for a bit, (and I was able to dry them outside) I thought I had a decent chance of nonsmelly moldy clothes, I was wrong... they still smell :(

Looks like I'll be shopping soon.

Oh Vakarabad.

We have been surviving mostly off of packaged foods (crackers) and 'boil dinners' (which are basically microwave dinners, but 'boil dinners' come in a little baggies that are placed in boiling water instead). We would probably try to cook ourselves more if we had a proper kitchen or if the local produce wasn't so questionable. Sandwiches might not even be a bad idea if there was a loaf of bread to be found around here without hairs as the main ingredient.

When Ameli and Rico came back from the land, we worked on maps for the first acre of BhodiSthaan (Life University) all afternoon. We are planning for 12 people to live there and occasionally 100, in the case of events and volunteer projects.

Other than that.. im excited to see the next project (and location).

1 comment:

  1. wow that sounds crazy what u have to go through to clean your clothes, but it sounds like your handling everything well...miss yOU :)

    ReplyDelete