Sunday, October 31, 2010

Monkeys

September 17, 2010

I woke up to the monkeys this morning, chatting it up outside my window.

Photobucket


There were more than ten of them just outside my window! Three of them were intently watching me. They were only about 5 feet away! I was trying to sign language to them. But then I realized that I don't speak sign language, and neither do they. So much for that idea.

Lengurs and macaques. Those are the two most common monkeys here. Or maybe they are the only monkeys here. The only monkeys I have seen at least!

Watching the monkey's is my new favorite thing to do, by far.

Currently I am eating lunch in the dining hut and watching some monkey's play a silly game.

They are competing to try to get to the highest point of a particular tree, and they keep climbing over each other to try and get there. It's amazing how far these little guys can jump. They would completely annihilate all of the worlds best athletes at the olympics in a heart beat!! They can jump very long distances! Although sometimes they misjudge the distances. I've seen it a few times where the monkey's have taken a pretty hefty fall. Yesterday I saw a couple monkeys splash into the river as they were trying to jump from rock to rock. But they are amazing swimmers, and even with the strong current, they reach their destination just fine!


Anyway.. These monkey's I am watching, if I didn't know better, I would think they were made out of rubber! Many of them keep falling down the entire span of the tree!!! It doesn't even phase them though, they just climb back up, over the others to try and get to the top again. There is one branch that is the tallest point on this particular tree, and right now a baby monkey is balancing on the top of that little top branch. He is so teeny, that it doesn't sway at all.

And suddenly another baby monkey joins him at the top? How many baby monkey's can this wee branch hold?? Looks like three, now four, OMG FOUR baby monkey's are on this teeny branch at the top of the tree! Hahah, and four baby monkeys just got sprung from the top of the treee!!!!!! four baby monkeys is obviously too much weight.

And no worries, all monkeys sprung from the top of the tree are safe and unharmed.
Monkey's are amazing.


I love India.

No comments:

Post a Comment