Thursday, October 18, 2012

Gomukh

First off, I apologize for my delay in putting up pictures for Gorukana, for some reason my camera and my computer weren't syncing properly and now somehow I've misplaced my camera batteries.

I have been spending some time visiting organic farms in the Pune area.

The day before yesterday I had the opportunity to visit Gomukh, a sustainable farming operation about 2 hours from Pune.  It is near Chinmaya Vibhooti.  They deliver to Pune, and are working on having a store outlet in Pune.  Which personally I am very excited for, because as it is the only place I have found organic fresh vegetables and sometimes fruits is in Dorabjees, which is a bit of a stretch from where I live, Magarpatta City.

And in their outlet they will not be using plastic!  Which is awesome!

The farm is beautiful, unfortunately this time I didn't take pictures, but I've offered to help volunteer next week there, so by that time hopefully I will have found my camera batteries!  :)

They are located on a hillside, and have about 8 acres.  They grow a variety of vegetables, and I was impressed to see them using the forest/jungle ecosystem to their advantage.  Beneath the jungle canopy they were experimenting with coffee beans as a ground cover and passion fruit as the vertical layer- a climbing vine, which doesn't damage the tree as it grows, it lives symbiotically with the tree which supports it!

There were also local high school kids working on the farm when I got there.  They had come from an international school nearby, and in exchange for working on the farm either they were awarded with scholarships or became eligible for scholarships.  It's definitely a wonderful thing to see our youth, learning sustainable technologies and systems at such a young age!

Gomukh also works with many of the farmers in the area, teaching them about organic production and giving them seeds to work with.  Because of the farmers taking of these practices, Gomukh is able to provide organic food to ~220 families.  My family being one of them!  Their produce is awesome :)

They have a greywater filtration system, basically a garden with plants which are very capable of filtering the water back to clean form.  They have also created a pond which helps maintain water on site throughout the dry season for their production as well as surrounding animals.

They have left much of their land in it's natural state, this is a very important aspect of farming!  It allows nature to be, and in so doing also allows nature to let whatever you are doing be!  The owner, Ashwin Paranje and his wife Judit, were saying that their are many animals in the forest, even monkeys, but none of them really bother with their crops because there is more than enough food for them in the jungle itself.

Energy efficiency is also another integral part of their work, they have a few solar panels and they are actively looking into more renewable technologies to reduce their dependency on oil.



No comments:

Post a Comment