Thursday, November 1, 2012

In the Spirit of Fasting: Karwa Chauth


My husband's family is Hindu. I don't consider myself a very religious person, but today is a special Hindu holiday, Karwa Chauth.

It is one of those holidays, which it's hard for me to tell whether it is a very cute holiday, or a little bit degrading towards women?

However, in the big scheme of things, many holidays have both an endearing side and a somewhat degrading/shadow side – especially American ones, on one hand being a very pleasant experience- surrounded with friends and family, and the other- the shadow of it all, is that mostly they have become huge commercial operations.. Only furthering the pollution and oppression in our world. Unless the family celebrating is one of a kind and spends these days volunteering or donating money to worthy causes instead of buying into the whole consumerism package. I remember Christmas as a kid, being the most joyful day of the year.. apart from my birthday. And now, the one thing I look forward to, is being with family.. yet I dread presents! I dread getting presents and I dread buying presents. I just feel it goes against all of my values. In the past I have chosen not to purchase things.. and that doesn't feel nice, because I ended up getting all of these gifts, and had nothing to give in return. Other times, I have donated large sums of money to different charities, and told my family and friends about it. But I guess that doesn't always feel the best either, because for some reason we have it in our minds that giving gifts, is the way we show our love.

Which is a little strange that our love should depend on what materials we buy for each other.  And I also hate the feeling of forcing my values onto others- not celebrating, not buying other's gifts for the sake of not supporting consumerism.  And how to tell a child that you gave a gift to someone else for his sake?
Maybe it's okay, it could just be my ego that I'm working with, and my upbringing in the states.

I guess a third alternative is to make gifts. Unfortunately I am no knitter, or crafts maker.. but maybe that's just a story. I am good at baking! Another option could be to buy gifts from local craftsmen, who harvest their material sustainably, and no unnecessary packaging is involved. One could easily spend a fortune on something like christmas, buying all of their gifts like that. But the overall world's benefit I guess would outweigh the cost.

Today in India, is the holiday for the women to keep fasts for their husbands. The idea is that the fast will help them have a strong relationship together.

My family here, keeps asking me, are you going to do it? I keep replying, I don't know. I've never really made an intention before to completely fast for a whole day before.. for someone else!

I've tried fasting in the past, but usually what happens, is things are fine, until later in the day, and I get really headachy or cranky, then I find myself eating fruit or what not.

My husband is sweet though, he says if I fast, he will also fast.

But I feel the weight scale is a little uneven in this festival. Either, lol in my opinion of it all, there should be a holiday where the man should also fast for the woman. Or today should actually be about both parties fasting for each other. I don't understand that the weight is entirely on the woman. Seems strange to me, but again, I grew up in a feminist household. :)

None the less, I am in India and it seems all the women in my family are doing this, so I might as well try too! Currently it's only 10:00am, I am feeling hungry. The strictest followers of this holiday won't even drink water. That's where I'm drawing the line. I will drink water, and I'll see how far in the day I make it. I should be fine.

We'll see how it goes!   

No comments:

Post a Comment