Thursday, April 25, 2013

A thought on compassion

A while ago I had the idea that what gives the most, should be respected the most.

What gives the most, must be the most compassionate.  My conclusion was that the sun, must be the most compassionate force of this world.

It is one thing, that never takes, it only gives.  When the sun is fading on one side of the earth, it's giving out its rays to the next destination.

But it's not just about always giving, but knowing the best time to give and release, the sun unfortunately can't stop, it can only give.  And this can mean the end of a person if he ends up in the middle of a desert with no water.  

So it's not just about one 'thing' in our universe that is ultimately benevolent.  But the combination of all.    Any one thing by itself would mean the death of all existence, but because we are blessed with a vast variety of 'elements' 'items' 'things'  We have the ability to thrive in what might be considered chaos to someone unfamiliar with existence or I guess LIFE on earth!  (not sure the right word structure for that one!)

It seems to me, that some people in this world, don't know how to care, about anything.  Not themselves, not their families, not animals, plants or the world.  Sometimes they direct this negativity inward, sometimes outward.

Next level is some people are able to care for themselves, but other than that, they don't care too much for others, or plants, animals.. etc.

A slightly expanded view, are those who care about themselves and their family.  Apart from that, they could really care less about anybody else, they may have a pet that they like, but other than that they may not be fond of animals or nature, etc.

A little beyond.  Are those who care about themselves, family, and some kind of community - whether it be for the people who believe the same as they do, for perhaps the citizens of the same country, maybe for those who belong to the same town, but they definitely see good people and bad people.  They may or may not care for the world, they may or may not care for animals, plants and nature.

Then of course you have those who actually care for all of humanity.  It's rare!  But it happens, yet again, they may or may not be concerned with nature, animals and the world.

And then!  You have a few very concerted individuals who actually might care for every single living breathing thing on planet earth.  Genuinely!  A true find indeed.

We can even start working backwards, there are those who care about animals, plants and the world - who only think of people as absolute rubbish.  

There are also those who may care about everything outside of themselves, but not actually care about themselves, or not aware of how to care for themselves.

Of course, there are many many combinations to this capacity to care, embracement of compassion.  

I fit somewhere in there.  I'd like to think that I care about everyone and everything and I do the best I can to take care of myself.  I do find myself having questions or judgments, ironically when it seems like others aren't caring.  Especially with all of this crazy news in the media.  Violence, it does baffle me to think that people feel the need to resort to it.  But again, I have no room to judge them.  I don't know their situation I have no idea of their past.  

The best I can do, is not try to figure out why others aren't being 'compassionate' but work on how I can become more compassionate.. whether it be to myself, my family, my friends, my colleagues  my husband, my animals, the world.. 

In the end we are all just different sides sparkling different lights in different directions on a gemstone! We are all completely right in our own way, and I do believe that there is a higher perspective to all of this (everything we perceive as crazy or malevolent) , even when I am incapable of seeing it.  I do better if I can trust that it's there.  That whatever is happening, is happening for the highest benefit for all.  

But I can't help but wonder if humanity were to flip, the accepted paradigm --- the paradigm that most people care about themselves, their family and the communities they belonged to.. 

What if we were able to care most about what actually gave us breathe, gave us life on a day to day basis.. how would our lives change?  Suddenly we'd have everything in common with not only other humans but with almost all of life!  

What if we honored the sun, the moon and the stars the most, the atmosphere next, the trees next, the soil and the water with due importance!  What if we honored our fellow creatures more than ourselves? How would our existence shift?  And of course we would honor each other and ourselves along with everything else.. but highest importance would be to that, which gives us breathe.


Just a thought!

Happy readings :)


No comments:

Post a Comment