Saturday, April 20, 2013

Happy Earth Day!!


So somehow, I completely didn't realize it was earth day weekend until.. well today.    I was flipping though the Newspaper, and I think I counted over 8 positive stories!!! I couldn't believe that, that never seems to happen!  I was feeling very happy and optimistic, and turns out there was still one more positive piece of a news story.  That story was around the earth day activities for this weekend.  I was ecstatic.  They had river cleanup, planting trees, earth day booths and habitat restoration!! Wow, why don't we have earth day every day?  Every week??  I was so excited to see all of these activities, in my area, I had to decide what to do!  Tree planting is on Monday - so that is out - I have to work.  River clean up started at 8:45 am.. the time was 9:30 am , that was out.  Earth booths are always fun, but I definitely wanted to work on something that will stick around for a while.. habitat restoration!!  I do live kind of in the middle of no where.  1/2 an hour from town, and I still needed to get ready, so looked like I might be able to be there by 10:30am.  And supposedly it was supposed to go till noonish or 1pm.

I happily got my work clothes on, gathered all my equipment and headed down the road.  I drove a few 'blocks' (since I live in the middle of nowhere- it's more of a distance of driving through fields than actual blocks.. but to anyway it's easy to estimate about that much).  I relaized I forgot my camera - it would have been a big deal but I forgot about it in my garage - not a nice place for it to be.  So I went back to retrieve it. 
I started down the road again.   And then.. about half way to my destination ( total this place is about about 35-40 minutes from my house), I realized I forgot my work gloves, drivers license and money - Otherwise I could have just bought more work gloves.. but since it was pouring outside.. I decided it would be best to have them.  It was one of those decisions where I really had no idea what to do.. but decided to drive back.. it would add about 20 extra minutes to the journey, but it may be worth trying to find a decent pair of working gloves and money to buy them. So, I drove all the way back, and got back on the road - had to stop by the bank, so by the time I actually made it to the restoration site, they had finished their work!  :(
Good news is: They were completely blown away with all the support!  Bad news is, I promised my husband I would not only plant atleast one plant, but one for him and one for us.  LOL.  Blew that one.
Atleast I attempted to help my community and its a better case scenario than me coming there and realizing that it got cancelled or something because no one came!  Anyway, it was kinda a long trip in to town.. just to go back again. But on my way back home, I found a really beautiful wetland!!  They are from a little town near young ward in Utah.  It's Spring, but it's still freezing here and not much vegetation has sprung up as of yet, but its on its way!  And despite the season, the earth will always show her best!  :)
Here are a few pictures :)
This first picture was actually taken where
I was meant to be doing habitat restoration, the rest
were taken at a little wetlands down the road



 























Beautiful Bird I had never seen before!!!






I found this small pen with two beautiful bulls living inside.  They were absolutely terrified of me, and I wasn't sure if they had ever recieved compassion from a person before.  I decided to pick whatever grass I could from the ouside of their stall and feed it to them, it took them a second. But it made my day to know, even it was a small one, I made a difference today.  The drive was worth it, just for this. 





Happy Earth day everyone!  May you also find beautiful sacred places to spend some time this week and honor nature :)

No comments:

Post a Comment