Monday, October 21, 2013

Jane Goodall Institute

I feel like I have been dreaming for so long about exactly how I want to contribute in this world.
Almost 5 years ago I studied abroad in Norway, where I had begun working on an application for Greencorp.  In Norway, we hardly had class.  Maybe an hour a day, and no homework, no test, not until the end of the semester.  Basically I had a lot of time. To do absolutely nothing.  But I worked on this applicaton.  The question for the application was, "If you could do one thing in the US and be successful at it, what would you do?"  After learning about global warming and food miles and generally our disconnect with nature, I decided that I would initiate greenhouse building across america, to help improve our access to fresh foods despite the climate.

From there, my brother helped me edit this essay question, and showed me a permaculture video.  I fell in love with the idea of creating beautiful fertile life from a completely barren desert.  I decided that was what I wanted to do.  I turned up of course not getting accepted to Greencorp, but it was for the better.

My ideas over the years, have changed, relatively they've had the same overall idea, to connect the gaps between us and our environment.  To reduce carbon emissions, protect pristine ecosystems, and restore the landscapes that we've over-used.

Looking at everything the Jane Goodall Institute is involved with, I am just so inspired by their work.

I love how they are taking such a holistic approach to environmental conservation.  Nithya gave me the idea to start contacting organizations that are an inspiration to me and that I could see myself being of use to after college.  Definitely Jane Goodall's Institute is one of them, and I just got done writing an email to them.  We'll see if I hear back.  If nothing else, I can sneak myself in by volunteering.

I am just so touched by all the amazing people in our world, and the incredible work that they do and have created.

http://www.janegoodall.org/cc-livelihoods

If you feel like making a difference to families of chimps and the ecology of the planet you can donate here:

https://www.janegoodall.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=21


No comments:

Post a Comment